MARY ANN SMITH (?1852-1914)
Mary Ann Smith’s father, William, was a Northumbrian from Hexham who came south to serve as a trooper in the 1st Life Guards. In 1850 we meet him married to Elizabeth from Hertford and stationed at Windsor where their first child, another Elizabeth, is born. By March 1851 the family including Elizabeth’s young dressmaker sister Mary Ann have moved to 81 Albany Street, opposite Regents Park Barracks. Little Elizabeth is followed by three sisters: our Mary Ann, born in Brompton, then on the western outskirts of London, between 8 April 1852 and 7 April 1853, Fanny Jane two years later and Rosa (Rose) after two more years.
Our next picture of the Smiths is in 1861. Describing himself now as ‘licensed victualler’, William was the landlord of the Black Jack pub at 11 Portsmouth Street on the SW corner of Lincoln’s Inn Fields. The street is still there but not the pub. Black Jacks were leather beer jugs coated with tar. As well as the family the household comprised two servants and seven workmen lodgers.
Where the family were in 1871 is anyone’s guess but in 1881 Mary Ann resurfaces—in Sheffield! Her address is 58 High Street, where she is a draper’s assistant and head of a small household of three younger draper’s assistants, a cook and a housemaid, six of her employer’s 19 female and 5 male staff. Ten years on, across High Street, she heads a list of 22 female employees, which by 1901 has risen to 54. They are working at Walsh’s.
John Walsh Ltd, Sheffield
Walsh’s occupied a large block on what is now the corner of Arundel Gate, opposite the Castle Square tram stop. After spending nine years as a buyer of baby linen and ladies’ clothing at Cockayne’s store, Irishman John Walsh had opened a small shop selling similar goods at no. 39 on the north side of High Street in 1875. Expanding steadily on the other side during Mary Ann’s time, the business became a superior department store and restaurant. It survived partial enforced demolition for street widening in 1895, then in 1897 John Walsh commissioned the well-known architectural practice Flockton and Gibbs to design a new store. Walsh’s became a limited company in 1902. Its trade directory entry for 1903 is shown here.
The Sheffield Blitz
It was wrecked on the first night of the Sheffield blitz, 12 December 1940, but continued in other premises until Harrods took over the company in 1946, cleared the High Street site, rebuilt the store and reopened it in 1953. A further takeover six years later by House of Fraser led to the replacement of Walsh’s name successively by Rackhams and House of Fraser until the store’s closure in 1998.
The firm’s personnel archives were probably destroyed in the war, but public records fill gaps in Mary Ann’s story. What do we have in Dore? Her neglected grave comprises a small headstone and a low all-round kerb. They bear an inscription starting on the headstone and continuing along the kerb sides from left to right: ‘In Loving Memory of Mary Ann Smith who died at Dore 8th January 1914 in her 61st year. Gone but not forgotten’.
The words ‘who died at Dore’ seemed to imply that she was on a visit, but she turned out to be a resident, if only briefly. The Dore burials register added where she died: ‘Mary Ann Smith of Woodland View, Dore, 10 January 1914, aged 61’ (not as on the stone).
Sheffield and Rotherham Licensed Victuallers Association
Woodland View is the picturesque building opposite the station, originally constructed in 1878-79 by the Sheffield and Rotherham Licensed Victuallers Association as sheltered housing for former pub landlords and landladies when its former site in Grimesthorpe became unhealthy. It consists of twelve terraced cottages with a central hall. Along with one of the cottages this was rented by local freemasons for lodge meetings from 1890 until 1951 when they bought the whole premises.
Mary Ann's Burial in Dore
On the morning of the funeral this announcement appeared in the Sheffield Independent: ‘DEATHS … SMITH. – On the 8th January, Mary Ann Smith (late of 64, High Street), at 12, Woodview, Dore. Interment at Dore Church, this day (Saturday), at 3 o’clock’. Despite the faulty address this helps to pinpoint the places where she had recently lived and died. 64 High Street was residential accommodation for Walsh’s staff. 12 Woodland View was at the far end of the range of cottages from Dore Road in both the 1901 and the 1911 censuses (on left, in shadow) but Mary Ann wasn’t yet there. We don’t know how she came to be at no. 12—perhaps her father’s occupation had something to do with it—but right from the start of the LVA in Dore people from backgrounds other than the licensed trade predominated among its residents.
Mary Ann's Death Certificate
Her death was reported two days later to Fred C. Bone, Dore’s schoolmaster and local registrar, by her unmarried elder sister and recent carer Elizabeth. Its certified causes were general debility for six months and a weak heart for four; she had also suffered from dropsy (œdema) for three months. But note Elizabeth’s description of her sister’s occupation.
In 1891 Walsh’s had designated her with her female colleagues as ‘Draper’s Shopwoman’ and in 1901 as ‘Draper’s Assistant’. Her sister, however, wanted to do her justice: ‘Buyer and Saleswoman at Drapery Establishment’. As a buyer she stood out among her colleagues.
Mary Ann's Legacy
The final two documents are Mary Ann’s will and grant of probate. She made bequests to her sister Fanny Dakers and her three nephews in South Africa, her sister Rose Martyn in New Zealand, and several work colleagues and friends, and she set up a residuary trust fund for her sister Elizabeth. The great surprise is the value of her estate, about £2500, worth in purchasing power over £300,000 today. How did she amass all this?
As an early recruit to Walsh’s Mary Ann showed leadership of her women colleagues from the start. Within some 30 years she had achieved a similar degree of expertise as had John Walsh himself when he founded the firm.
This short account of her life has been written for Women’s History Month 2025 in the hope of revitalising that inscription in Dore churchyard: ‘Gone but not forgotten’.